Fire at the Wabanaki Center

By Kaileigh Deacon

 

Calais and St. Stephen Fire and EMS personnel responded to a fire alarm Monday morning at the Wabanaki Center on Union Street in Calais. 

The fire was started in the elevator room of the building when some of the electrical panels malfunctioned. Calais Fire-EMS personnel entered the building and had the fire quickly under control with an onsite extinguisher. 

Once the fire was controlled the firefighters helped clean out the smoke from the room and the rest of the building before leaving the scene in the hands of the maintenance at the building. The damage from fire was confined to the small room and only minor smoke damage to other parts of the building. 

“We had great turnout from both full time and part time members of our crew as well as the crew from St. Stephen with quick response,” Chief Posick said. 

The Calais Fire-EMS has an agreement with St. Stephen that each will respond when a call comes in for the other to lend support if it is needed. With the quick response the damage to the Wabanaki Center was kept to a minimum.