Calais Fire-EMS Responds to Chimney Fire

By Jayna Smith

(Photo provided by Calais Police Department.)      

Calais Fire-EMS was called to 27 Franklin Street last Friday morning.  "When crews first got there, there was obviously smoke coming out of the chimney, nothing too indicative of a big issue, but any time we get called for these, we assume the worst and send all the equipment and do all the procedures," Chief Robert Posick toldThe Calais Advertiser.  "It was indeed a chimney fire."  

The call came in from the homeowner at approximately 9:00 a.m. and the procedure "took every bit of an hour," Chief Posick said.  "With our ladder truck, we were able to gain access to the top and remove the creosote that was causing the fire."  He added this was done without any additional damage to the chimney and with no damage to the home.

 

Chief Posick reminds citizens that chimneys need to be cleaned and inspected at least once a year.  "If you're burning green wood in a wood furnace, it's encouraged that you have it cleaned and inspected at least one more time throughout the year because that creosote does build up and if it does catch and go through the lining, there's an opportunity for it to cause damage to your house."