Alexander/Crawford History

Tag: 
Town News

By John Dudley & Cassie Oakes

GREAT PINE POINT: 

Great Pine Point became Island in 1924 when the high dam was built.  John Waterhouse showed up in Crawford around 1894.  He had a house and lean-to blacksmith shop here.  That’s why some call this place Johnny Waterhouse Point.  Waterhouse was a Civil War veteran and died in 1908.  The high dam was burned in 1934, but the 1935 dam kept the point surrounded by water.

James Entwhistle came to Crawford Lake around 1933 when he stayed in a bark peeler’s camp.  He returned in 1939 with a travel trailer.  Entwhistle got stuck in the mud driving to Baptismal Landing and needed Frank Williams and a team of horses to pull the trailer into place where he spent the summer.  He built a three-car garage and apartment to stay in while his camp was being built.  Entwhistle’s friend Dr. McCurdy left a $5000 check to start the camp to be named Beaver Lodge.

The camp was started about 1940.  Frank Williams cut the logs in Alexander with Orris Cousins helping.  Raymond Flood with Ralph McArthur trucked the logs to the site across on the ice.  The camp builders were fussy; they were Orris, his brother Harold and Harold’s son Horace.  They also built two bunkhouses, a tool shed and a generator house.  Entwhistle wanted a really tall flagpole.  The big spruce was 80 feet long.  Orris stood it up; 65 feet was above ground.  The boathouse on the mainland was started about 1941.  The tie-up for a seaplane came after that.

About 1970 the Point and Beaver Lodge became home to Lloyd and Ellen Wells.  They hired Royce Cousins to clear a roadway on the island.  Dr. Crosby graveled the road and Luther hauled fill for a “daisy” field (land for wildflowers).  All this was done just before environmental laws were enacted to stop filling wetlands.  Great Pine Point became a point again.

To bring Luther’s story up to date, Wells build Advent House, a framed home.  Today this is the home of Dean and Gayle Wiles and Susan Flack owns Beaver Lodge.

People walked during the years before WWII, and many continued for a decade after.  People walked in the dark, especially before electricity came to our area.  A story grew out of early evening walks by the Old Crawford Cemetery (the one on the hill).  People had seen a GHOST there!  Some ran by the cemetery.  Some carried a rifle or a shotgun, like that would protect them from a GHOST.  Frank Williams saw the ghost several times.  Actually it appeared to be a light in the cemetery that moved ghost-like among the stones.  Finally several brave souls visited the cemetery after dark and observed that the ghost appeared just when neighbor Horace Seavey lit the Aladdin Lamp on the shelf near the kitchen stove.  The ghost was the reflection of that lamp light off certain stones.

 

Next week we read Luther’s stories of his grandfather, Andrew Grover.