Gas Leak at Woodland Mill Sends Workers to Hospital

 

By Amy Jeanroy

 

A gas leak last week sent 16 contractors and 2 employees to Calais Regional Hospital. Chlorine oxide gas that is used in the bleaching process was accidentally released, and due to a lack of ventilation of the equipment being worked on during the planned maintenance outage, workers were exposed. The workers were then taken to the hospital out of an “abundance of caution,” According to Scott Beal, Woodland Pulp spokesman.  “At no time was the public at risk,” Says Beal. 

Calais Regional Hospital activated its emergency response plan to deal with mass chemical exposure and community members with non-emergency issues were diverted for care for a short period of time.