1905 Historical Photos

The biggest news in the St Croix Valley in 1905 was the construction of the Woodland Mill in Baileyville. Built almost entirely by Irish immigrants, the work began in 1905 with construction of the dam at the Falls. This did not please everyone. One of the few residents who lived near the dam site at the time  was nostalgic about the Falls and remarked, “The famous waterfall known for many years as Sprague’s Falls was left to rumble and splash into the sunlight until 1905 when the St. Croix Paper Company called a halt, and the once beautiful cataract that had been admired for many years has passed on.” This is not to imply there was opposition to the project. Everyone was excited about the prospect of the "largest paper mill in Eastern Maine" rising from the wilderness.